How Much Money Can I Receive in a Workers Compensation Claim in Indiana

How Much Money Can I Receive For A Workers Comp Claim in Indiana?


If you are injured on the job in Indiana and unable to return to work for more than a week, you may be entitled to receive paid medical care and compensation for your lost wages equal to two-thirds of your average weekly wages.


Losing Bodley Function


If the injury causes you to lose the use of part of your body, you may also receive compensation for this permanent disability. The amount you would receive for the loss of a body part depends on the following:

·     the severity of your loss

·     your permanent impairment rating

·     the specific facts of how the injury occurred.


The workers compensation attorneys at The Lockwood Legal Group, LLC are available to review your workplace injury and provide guidance on all the benefits you are entitled to receive.


If you are having trouble obtaining workers compensation benefits after a workplace injury or you have questions about a workman’s comp claim, call us for a free consultation.


Employer Disputing Injury


If your employer is disputing your claim for medical treatment for a work-related injury, one of our attorneys can discuss the details of your injury and explain your legal options during a free consultation. Understanding your legal options will help you make a better-informed decision.


Employers required to purchase workers compensation insurance


Indiana law requires most employers in Indiana to have Workers Compensation insurance to cover their liability for injuries to workers on the job. Some employers have special permission to be self-insured and provide their own insurance if an employee is hurt on the job.


Workers compensation insurance covers employees who are injured in workplace accidents or who develop work-related illnesses or diseases. Injured workers receive benefits regardless of who was at fault in the workplace accident. Both full-time and part-time employees are covered by workers compensation benefits.


Workers compensation laws in Indiana


If you have been injured while on the job in Indiana, you are required to inform your employer within 30 days of your injury. It is best to notify your immediate manager or supervisor or the company personnel office verbally as soon as feasible, then follow up with written notification.


Employers in Indiana are required by law to file an injury report with the Indiana Workers Compensation Board if a workplace accident leads to the death of an employee or causes an employee to miss more than one day of work.


In addition, Indiana law requires that the employer notify its workers compensation insurance provider within seven days of the work-related injury or death. The insurance provider is then required to report it to the Indiana Workers Compensation Board.



Right to a Hearing


Injured workers have a legal right to a hearing before the Indiana Workers Compensation Board if an employer has denied the workers claim for benefits.

The law prohibits an employer from dismissing an employee because the worker filed a workers compensation claim. If you believe that you have been wrongly dismissed, you should consult with a knowledgeable attorney about the situation.

The law also gives you the right, as an injured worker, to consult with a lawyer at any time regarding your workers compensation questions or issues.


Do I have a workers compensation case?


You may have a valid claim for workers compensation if you were an employee of a company and your injury or occupational disease occurred while you were on the job or performing your job. You are covered by workers compensation benefits from your first day of employment, whether you are full-time employee or a part-time employee. You do not have to prove fault to obtain workman’s compensation benefits.


You may be eligible to receive benefits even if you were at fault, as you did not injure yourself through intentional misconduct. Generally, you just need to establish that you sustained the injury on the job.

Your employer is responsible for handling your workers compensation. If you have been told that you are ineligible for workers compensation benefits because you are not considered an employee, you should consult with an experienced Indiana workers compensation lawyer who can review your employment status and explain your rights.


Independent contractors


Independent contractors are not covered by the Workers Compensation Act. If your status is in question, you should talk to a lawyer about whether you are an employee or an independent contractor because there are numerous complex factors used in making the determination of eligibility for benefits.


Benefit Disputes


If there is a dispute about the amount of benefits that you should receive, you also should speak with a knowledgeable attorney who handles workman’s compensation claims.

A workers compensation attorney at Klezmer Maudlin, PC can evaluate whether you have a valid case and are entitled to claim workers compensation or may seek other types of compensation. We take seriously our job of helping injured workers obtain the full benefits they are entitled to receive by law.

Workman’s comp settlements in Indiana


permanent Disability


If you sustain an injury in a workplace accident and have a permanent disability, you are entitled to receive a workers compensation settlement under Indiana law. The Indiana Workers Compensation Board will make a decision on the extent of the impairment. The settlement may be paid in a lump sum or in weekly amounts.



Settlement Agreements


There are two types of settlement agreements generally used in work injury claims in Indiana:

Section 15 Settlement

Form 1043 Agreement to Compensation of Employee and Employer.


Section 15 settlement


You may be presented with a proposed work-related injury settlement prepared by your employer’s lawyer or insurance company known as Section 15 settlement. A Section 15 settlement is also known as a Full and Final Settlement. Section 15 settlements are often used in work accident claims in which there is a dispute between the employer and injured worker about the amount of future medical treatment needed. A Section 15 settlement states that the employer proposes to pay you a set amount of money.



If you agree to a Section 15 settlement, you give up your right to reopen the claim.

Agreement to compensation of employee and employer



The other type of settlement is to accept medical treatment, lost wages, hard money,  and permanent partial impairment (PPI). The PPI is determined through a published schedule that lists specific amounts for each degree of impairment and type of impairment. The settlement is issued through an Agreement to Compensation of Employee and Employer.


The important difference between this type of settlement and a Section 15 settlement is you do not waive your rights to reopen the claim in the event that you experience a change in your condition as a result of your work activity.


As you can tell, there are numerous considerations with any proposed workman’s comp settlement. An injured worker should review the terms of any workers compensation settlement document very carefully or consult with a knowledgeable lawyer.


Employer’s Lawyer


Keep in mind that any type of settlement document was likely prepared by an attorney for your employer or the employer’s insurance provider. That lawyer is trying to protect your employer’s interests. You should have your own attorney looking out for your interests.

Liability for workplace accident


Third Party Claims


A number of different parties may be responsible for a workplace accident.

The Indiana Workers Compensation system generally does not allow injured workers to sue their own employers for workplace injuries, even if the employer caused the accident. But in some cases, a workplace accident is caused by a defective piece of machinery or a subcontractor working on the same location.


These lawsuits are known as third-party lawsuits because they involve a party other than you (the first party) and your employer (the second party).


An injured worker may have a right to file a personal injury lawsuit and seek compensation if another party besides your employer or co-worker was responsible for the injuries and the injury occurred in the course of your job. These lawsuits are referred to as third-party lawsuits. An experienced workers compensation attorney can analyze how your injury occurred and identify all the parties who are potentially liable.


For example, if you were driving as part of your job and another motorist hit your vehicle and injured you, you may be entitled to file a personal injury lawsuit seeking compensation from the motorist responsible for your injuries. You may do this in addition to claiming workers compensation benefits from your own employer.


Personal Injury Lawsuits


You also may have a personal injury claim if another subcontractor working on the same job site created a hazardous situation that caused your injury. Multiple subcontractors are often working on a construction site at the same time.


Product Liability Lawsuits


In some situations, you may have a product liability claim against the manufacturer of a defective piece of machinery that caused your injury on the job. It is important to have a knowledgeable Indianapolis workers compensation attorney review the details of your injury and explain whether a personal injury lawsuit is in order.


What damages can be recovered with a workman’s comp claim?


Through a workers compensation claim in Indiana, you can obtain fully paid medical care, compensation for a portion of your lost wages and compensation if you lose the use of a body part and are permanently disabled due to your on-the-job accident.


Pain and Suffering


The Indiana Workers Compensation Act does not provide compensation for pain and suffering related to workplace injuries or occupational diseases. Non-economic damages for pain and suffering are not part of workers compensation benefits.


If the facts of the accident make it appropriate, then you may be entitled to file a separate personal injury lawsuit against a third party whose negligence or wrongdoing caused your injuries. Workers compensation claims are handled by the Workers Compensation Board, while third-party claims are lawsuits that are filed in civil courts in Indiana.


Third Party Claims


Through a third-party claim, you may have a right to claim compensation for the following:

·     medical bills and rehabilitation expenses

·     lost wages

·     future lost wages if you cannot return to work or have future limitations

·     pain and suffering.


The damages are determined by a jury based on the severity of the injuries.




If you pursue workers compensation benefits and obtain a settlement through a third-party claim, you should be aware that the money from the settlement will be used to reimburse the workers compensation insurance company for the benefits paid for your care. The Indiana Workers Compensation Act permits this. This is called subrogation.


Our attorneys at The Lockwood Legal Group. The experience to identify all the potentially liable parties after a workplace accident, including non-employer third parties, and pursue maximum compensation for workers who have been injured.


Contact Us


The first initial consultation is FREE! So contact us right away.


Flexible Appointment Options


We can arrange a virtual appointment, in-person appointment at our office, or even travel to your home to meet you and your family.


Contact The Lockwood Legal Group for a free consultation today! Call US or send us an email.


This post is governed by our blog publishing disclaimer.